This is the figure I plan to use as Chief Librarian Tigurius in my 1500pts force. He will be my only HQ choice. After painting 3 batches of 10 men recently this came as a welcome break. With HQ and 2 (4 x 5 man units) Troop choices sorted its time to get back to the tanks. I will however briefly discuss how I produced this model, as I made effective use of Humbrol Maskol to enable more airbrushing. I have aimed to build this figure with a '35k' younger Chief Librarian Tigurius in mind, to fit in with my themed Ultramarine Army.
Sunday, 29 December 2013
The second squad is now complete. Inevitably it has come out better than the first one due to reviewing and learning from the first group I put together. This build uses new kit as well as a few components from the Sternguard box. Again I have gone for Combi-Flamer and Flamer, however I have chosen to build a Missile launcher into this Squad rather than the more costly Lascannon. In time this unit will get a Rhino as well, with the first Rhino now 99% complete and needing a write up for the blog.
A change I made on this unit was to go a bit heavier with the VMA Light Sea Blue to get a better contrast after the oil wash and satin varnish was applied (these generally dull your highlights).
The transfers on this unit came out really well and I think I have refined how I will approach transfers from now on. The GW hard coat gloss brushed on seems to give better adhesion than any airbrushed gloss varnish when it comes to sticking in transfers. The red and blue containers of Micro Set and Micro Sol also seem to work better than the Humbrol Decal Fix. The process for applying my transfers consists of the following:
Tuesday, 24 December 2013
Wednesday, 18 December 2013
So this week I have got back to building and finishing off a number of different projects. I am keen to clear the slate to get onto some of the other bigger kits I have sat waiting to go. I have managed to tie up one of the final hand painted units from my previous Space Marine Project: The Emperor’s Crusaders, finishing another Tactical Squad. I have also finished some additional weathering on my Land Raider and the main chunk of this article – the Airbrushed Ultramarine 10 man Tactical Squad.