Skip to main content

Ultramarines Forge World Rhino/Razorback



This is my completed Rhino/Razorback with magnetized hatch for my first tactical squad.  I know they are not particularly popular vehicles but I am looking to build up a company this year and want a good few Rhino/Razorbacks/Drop pods to cover the fluff side of things.  I am very pleased with the final outcome and will talk through what's changed and come on since Part 2 posted a month or so ago.







As was the case with the Land Raider, I used Medow Arts (see Facebook/Youtube) paint scheme on the headlights to get a better OSL final outcome.  I combined it with the headlamps available from Forgeplanet and followed Buypainted!'s YouTube tutorial on how to install them.  Initially I went for the glass, transparent look but didn't feel this blended in well with the yellow and red so re-did the lights again to what you see in the model.  I also applied the red to yellow OSL effect on the heating vents.





With the headlamps complete I applied the oil wash across the miniature using white spirit and black Mig Abteilung Oil paint.  Next came brushing Vallejo Pigments onto rust and muddy areas of the tank.  This stage was done to taste, and helped blend some of the earlier chips I painted on the model.




Using AK Streaking Grime and rust effects I also managed to add more elements of dirt/corrosion, again adding to final finish.  The final bit of weathering consisted of painting a transition of VMA Hemp, through VMA Sandy Brown to VMA Olive Drab down the sides of the tracks to blend in the Sandy Paste I applied I in the very early stages of construction (see MAC'sYoutube channel).  It has tied everything together really nicely.



So here are some more shots of the finished model and all the extra bits.  Any suggestions on what to improve or what could be done better would very helpful.  Terminators coming up followed by a Stormraven.  HTB.











Comments

  1. Very cool HTB. Head lights look much better, warmer works. First time I've seen vents done like that, think I'll give it a try when I start painting my hawk lords vehicles. Streaking grime n mig oils are awesome aren't they? Overall it's great, but one thing it needs to finish it off, the tracks n wheels need some dirt n weathering pigments, they just a tad too clean. Mig oil stain looks nice in you're wheels too(sparingly). I'm very impressed with how this has progressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks LinZ - I will look to strike a balance between the tracks on this Rhino and the previous Land Raider on the next tank.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Space Marine Repulsor Tank Points Analysis

So hopefully you have seen my previous thoughts on the Redemptor.  A great model. I think the Repulsor however is likely to have a much bigger impact as some of its capabilities are just down right naughty.

The Repulsor has 10 weapons systems...10! I can't even see where the Storm Bolter's are meant to be on it but they are there somewhere! (I think they go above the doors but lets see when the kit comes out!)

Initial Thoughts 

Very good. Fly and Power of the Machine Spirit are very powerful rules - this has both. You can move and keep that 3+ to hit with Heavy weapons (but you still need to be careful of degradation ...BS still goes down). And if you get assault you can move back and fire without penalty because of Fly. Bonkers for an Ultramarine's gun line or creeping-advance style army.

T8 means str 4 is wounding on 6's not 5's as is in the case with the Redemptor Dreadnought. No 2+....Land Raider needs to have something going for it, however when we see the poi…

Grey Knights: Nemesis Dreadknights

I have painted something not blue for the first time in years!  These have come out very well and I had some real success using the Tamiya Clear plaints to get some great metallic finishes on some of the surfaces.  The Blue Sword effect Kenny uses on Next Level Painting worked a treat. I hadn't used P3 paints until he recommended them; they went into the airbrush no problem, giving some great results.


Space Marine Redemptor Dreadnought Points Analysis

I have promised Rob (Spikey Bits) at least twice now I would return to blogging but have failed miserably until now! I am on holiday and getting my ideas together to partake in my own White Dwarf "Tale of Four (one!) Gamers" style hobby challenge to get a Primaris force table top ASAP. There seems to be a gap in the market (soon to be filled by the hobby blogs and Podcasts, not least the Long War and Forge the Narrative) so having done my own research to shape my army list, I thought I would share build ideas and the points rationale behind it. Here goes...

Initial thoughts

It is good - not broken, not excellent but good. Toughness 7 is a slight issue given everyone trying to focus on being able to deal with this value. Maybe 8 would have been nice. A 2+ would be too much, but T8...hmm.... we will see. I think it is good anyway.  One concern (demonstrated in the Table Top Tactics video) is the degrading effect and impact on shooting once it goes to half health.  He needs a C…