Skip to main content

Tale of One Gamer: Pure Primaris part 1


There is no getting round the fact the new release for the Space marines has been fantastic, just fantastic, huuuuge some may say... I digress. In my next few articles I plan to complete my own take on Tale of Four Gamers running in White Dwarf, to get a table-top ready, pure Ultramarines Primaris force up and running.

 
This first article will talk through the thinking that went in to organising the project and some of the early build.

The new boxed starter sets and easy build kits make for great value. Using retailers like 4tkgaming that offer significant % discounts, the savings begin to stack really quickly. Selling-off the Deathguard side of the box also helps. To focus my purchases I chose to write a list that covered what I would need to run 2 detachments (a battalion and auxiliary detachment of some sort). This would provide a frame I can add to next year. 

The list also tries to tick off the common Tale of Four Gamers challenges; HQs, mandatory troops choices before sprinkling in elites and heavy support (...or dedicated transports - more later). So what did I go for? My initial target for Nov is as follows:

Ultramarine Battalion (6CP)
Primaris Captain
Primaris Lieutenant
3 x 5 Intercessors 
3 x Repulsors 

Vanguard Detahment (1CP)
Primaris Librarian
2 x Redemptor Dreadnought 
1 x Reiver Squad  

This is a low model count list that captures many of the new releases and gives me the tool box to draw from when I choose to add things like Hellblasters, an Apothecary, Inceptors etc later on.

The initial shopping list tackles the troop choices and I got everything without wasting (not using models) as best as I could. 

Tale of One Gamer Challenge 1: Troops and HQs

  • Dark millennium box set (Lieutenant, Bolter Lieutenant used as a Sgt, 10 Intercessors).
  • Free Intercessor on magazine (1 Intercessor).
  • Easy build Intercessors (looking back you see I get a third 5 man squad as a result).
  • Captain 
  • Librarian 
  • 2 boxes of easy build Reivers 

Unlike previous projects, I built the models to 90% complete rather than staged assemblies (which provides a better finish, but takes so much longer to work through). 



I used the Inceptors as a test run and to speed up completion; I aimed at getting the correct colour and wash on every surface and stopping there. "Good bases and good faces" was another philosophy I am choosing to rely upon to get a good table top army. 


The Inceptors came out really well, and moved quickly to start on the Intercessors. The larger models play so well to the airbrush - you have more space to build transitions which is what the eye likes to see. As a result as much more interesting finish can be achieved on each infantry model. I like my old marines but really like the fact I can add these in as well. The press fit kits have also come such a long way, the drop in quality between press fit and multipart kits is almost gone altogether.

I have prepared and finished all the bases I need for this part of the project (as well as what I require for the rest of my early infantry builds) and have assembled what I need. I can't help but have some other elements in progress as well and this is good practice provided it doesn't become an overwhelming distraction from having too many projects running. 



 
I have started to post progress on my Instagram; the next article will cover the conclusion of part 1 and the finished models! 

HTB

Comments

  1. Greetings, I couldn't find a way to contact you, so hopefully this works. I've recently started painting a primaris army, and I can get really great transitions thanks to the airbrush. But I can't figure out how to wash the model without losing my transitions/making the colors muddy. How did you do yours? Or did you pin wash?
    Thanks for your time. Your models look good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

House Cadmus Imperial Knights

This post has been sat in my archive for far too long. I am not going to pretend it is new work - it has been up on my Instagram for some time but I thought I would show you some WIP photos and talk through some tips on making what is a very large project manageable. Hopefully of use to someone out there! Three Kinghts is a decent amount of work - but to be fair, you pretty much have an army once you are done.  To keep me motivated and to make the project achievable I broke it down into stages: 1. The Metal Skeletons 2. Panel Work 3. Bases 4. Weaponry. This approach will save you time and will help you get 3 Knights above table top quality quickly and efficiently. It won't feel like it as you go - but trust me when you reflect, you will have saved yourself some serious time.  There is also a uniformity you can't replicate from doing 1 then adding 2 later on... Take the pain and work in multiples....read on... 1. The Metal Skeletons: Army Painter Silver Rattle Ca

Forge World Scorpion Type II – Saim-Hann

Forge World Scorpion Type II – Saim-Hann With my first project under my belt, I dug out a Forge World kit that had been left under the bed for a good number of years.  I could not ge the smooth finish I wanted so parked the model to one side, but never came back to it.  All the practicing of pre-shading, zen highlighting and shading using the Falcon kits drove me to dig it out and get it done.  This will be more step by step but do ask questions below if you want something made clearer.  Again, Buypainted! gave a vast amount of guidance and inspiration - credit where credit is due! 1.                The main hull was constructed, wing-lets, tail section etc.  The turret was also built however don’t do what I did initially and leave the pulsars sperate.  The crew and smaller weapons were mounted on old sprues to assist in painting.  The whole lot was primed us Vallejo Polyurethane Grey Primer – great stuff, and key to get the different sh

Ultramarines Super Heavy Falchion Tank

Finally finished the Falchion and another model in line with the core theme of the blog.  I picked this up back in March at the Forge World open day, with a view to have it finished before wider release... anyway...  it's done now.  The techniques involved are covered in the Glaive tutorial.  This time around I have tried to apply some of the pointers and tips passed on from Matt Murphy-Kane and Mark Bedford from not only Warhmmer Fest, but the FW open day to.