Skip to main content

Tale of One Gamer: Pure Primaris update

My Primaris Army is taking shape and whilst incomplete, it has been tested in two tournaments – GW’s Heat 2 and the Derby based Blood and Glory back in 2017.  Whilst Primaris are good, there are some significant gaps in capability.  I am really enjoying the new models, the building and the painting.  I am pleased to say certain elements perform really well.  In this article I hope to showcase some progress made in part-one, and some of the sneaking ahead I had to do to make competitive lists function.




Update: The basic battalion

In keeping with the good-bases/good-faces standard to start with, I am pleased to have got the 3 troop choices and HQs finished.  The easy build kits don’t come with an Auxiliary Grenade launcher (1pt upgrade well worth including).  I used bits from combi-weapons to make a little bolt on for two of the 5-man groups to represent the launcher upgrade.  It has worked well and gives me options to fill out the last few points to hit the 2000 mark on the nose.




I took the Captain and Lieutenant up to the finished standard.  Sadly these options aren’t the greatest.  I think the Captain with the Powerfist and Plasma pistol is a much better option at 106pts – the Powersword just doesn’t get the job done when bigger, nastier things get into the Ultramarine lines.  The re-roll ones to wound on the Lieutenant is also a bit limited.  A full compliment of re-rolls from the Chapter Master (3CP upgrade) has been far more effective.  This is of course only relevant if you are trying to move away from the main driver of most competitive Ultramarine lists – Guilliman.  With the release of new models and rules (Blood Angels, character requirements in specific missions and Custodes) the auto-inclusion of Guilliman is no longer the case.




Tournament Play

Up until this point the models completed above haven’t actually been employed in a tournament setting – which is a little disappointing.  I can however see Blood Angels having some more success with Intercessors thanks to their USR – but that is another story.  

I have however, leant on 15-20 Assault Hellblasters which are arguably the shining star in the Primaris portfolio.  35pts per model is expensive but you get a lot with it; 2 wounds, Ld9, 6-10in move on average, 2 shots per man despite advance, 2dmg on the overcharge, -4 AP…  these are a great, powerful, manoeuvrable option. Tied to Guilliman and the re-rolling of missed hit and wounds, the extra advance, the relic banner allowing another 2 shots on a 3+ on death – the efficiencies start to stack overwhelmingly in their favour.

Primaris Shortfalls

Primaris have little or no access to affordable fly, character, high-speed, long range, indirect fire, artillery keywords or capabilities.   This is a problem and in my ‘January 2018’ opinion means Primaris can’t do it on their own as it stands. 

The Repulsor is really good but takes away board control and flexibility in the list.  I don’t like having that much of the list tied up in one unit. The lack of jump packs is probably quite deliberate as it gives the normal marine body a lifeline before GW goes fully true scale (I can’t see them going backwards).

To cover off the long-range issue I have turned to Manticores (even with the points increase), which are incredibly efficient and always get a return on their points. An AM Psyker is never a bad smite option and at 46 points, who can say no to an extra command point from the Spearhead Detachment?  I would love it if they opened up artillery pieces in the same style seen in 30k (e.g. almost any Iron Warriors 30k has a few Griffons, Basilisks etc with Space Marine crews that looks awesome).

Where next?

I have been strict with purchases in 2018 and I continue to try and finish what is currently sat on the projects shelf (keeping Mrs HTB happy!).  I have however been buying Codex’s to read the direction of travel in terms of rules (AM, Grey Knights,  Index 2, Daemons, Custodes), which has been interesting to say the least.  I think Primarch’s will still play a big role, but I can see MSU making a resurgence. 

Part 2 will see the 20 Hellblasters finished to pair with my Librarian HQ leaving 2 Repulsor’s (Part 3) to finish for a Pure Primaris, more casual army.  This fits with my New year’s resolution I am so far hanging onto (by my fingernails…).




The Custodes biker-Captains are too good not to do some further thinking and tinkering with.  They are a ‘golden Storm-shield Biker Captain’ from 7th – and who didn’t rate those. I think they have well and truly snuck in on the Grey Knights territory, and are now the ‘sprinkle-in’ option for a fully flavoured, hard hitting Imperium list.

HTB.

   

Comments

  1. very amazing but blog style is different than others . but all okey . to know more infromation click >> Essex builder

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

House Cadmus Imperial Knights

This post has been sat in my archive for far too long. I am not going to pretend it is new work - it has been up on my Instagram for some time but I thought I would show you some WIP photos and talk through some tips on making what is a very large project manageable. Hopefully of use to someone out there! Three Kinghts is a decent amount of work - but to be fair, you pretty much have an army once you are done.  To keep me motivated and to make the project achievable I broke it down into stages: 1. The Metal Skeletons 2. Panel Work 3. Bases 4. Weaponry. This approach will save you time and will help you get 3 Knights above table top quality quickly and efficiently. It won't feel like it as you go - but trust me when you reflect, you will have saved yourself some serious time.  There is also a uniformity you can't replicate from doing 1 then adding 2 later on... Take the pain and work in multiples....read on... 1. The Metal Skeletons: Army Painter Silver Rattle Ca

Forge World Scorpion Type II – Saim-Hann

Forge World Scorpion Type II – Saim-Hann With my first project under my belt, I dug out a Forge World kit that had been left under the bed for a good number of years.  I could not ge the smooth finish I wanted so parked the model to one side, but never came back to it.  All the practicing of pre-shading, zen highlighting and shading using the Falcon kits drove me to dig it out and get it done.  This will be more step by step but do ask questions below if you want something made clearer.  Again, Buypainted! gave a vast amount of guidance and inspiration - credit where credit is due! 1.                The main hull was constructed, wing-lets, tail section etc.  The turret was also built however don’t do what I did initially and leave the pulsars sperate.  The crew and smaller weapons were mounted on old sprues to assist in painting.  The whole lot was primed us Vallejo Polyurethane Grey Primer – great stuff, and key to get the different sh

Ultramarines Super Heavy Falchion Tank

Finally finished the Falchion and another model in line with the core theme of the blog.  I picked this up back in March at the Forge World open day, with a view to have it finished before wider release... anyway...  it's done now.  The techniques involved are covered in the Glaive tutorial.  This time around I have tried to apply some of the pointers and tips passed on from Matt Murphy-Kane and Mark Bedford from not only Warhmmer Fest, but the FW open day to.