Skip to main content

Ultramarines Land Raider


Ultramarines Land Raider

This is my first blog on a site I am still trying to understand!  So this is more of a test run for me more than anything else.

Over the last year I have been sucking up as much information on painting vehicles as possible.  I took the plunge financially and invested in an airbrush from Iwata back in March having exhausted my brush skills when it came to vehicles.  Despite best efforts I could never get a smooth, thin finish on flat surfaces.  Enter the airbrush!  It solved that issue and opened up a total new avenue within the hobby.  Furthermore it took my painting up a number of levels.  This was actually my first fully painted airbrushed model.


What you can see just off to the right is one of two old Falcon kits I practised on before moving onto this expensive kit.  Buypainted’s youtube channel gave me most of my early guidance and tips.  His Vindicator tank pretty much set the tone for this Land Raider.  I had never heard of Vallejo paints and spent quite a lot building up a suitable collection to duplicate my paint collection I had built up GW wise.  There is no doubt the Model Air paints offer up a huge amount.  They are good to go at 20psi, work brilliantly over pre-shading and come at a fair price (I ordered mine fro SnM Stuff – a UK retailer that offer everything I need).  





"Hello Everyone!" - amazing videos!



I hope Buypainted doesn’t mind me dropping this picture in for comparison – his tutorials are fantastic.  I used his template explanation to do the Ultramarines ‘U’ on the other door.  At this stage I had not got on top of my transfer technique and you can see in the light the transfer doesn’t quite have that painted on feel.  Decal Sol and Humbrol Decal Fix combined, solved that on later projects.


For my first fully airbrushed project (pre-shaded, zen highlighted etc etc) I was pretty pleased with this.  I took it to my local store and got some positive feedback, but was more interested on the work on points – the Sandy Paste track weathering is too heavy as are some of the chips; it also needed better mud blending on the side of the model.  MarneusAugustaCalgar’s youtube channel fixed that – see his stuff on painting a weathered tank for his excellent Luna Wolves. I also hadn’t got the hang of the OSL headlight technique I had seen on many other projects.  No matter! I was happy with my first attempt!  I may re-visit this again in the coming weeks.  Enough for now!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grey Knights: Nemesis Dreadknights

I have painted something not blue for the first time in years!  These have come out very well and I had some real success using the Tamiya Clear plaints to get some great metallic finishes on some of the surfaces.  The Blue Sword effect Kenny uses on Next Level Painting worked a treat. I hadn't used P3 paints until he recommended them; they went into the airbrush no problem, giving some great results.


Space Marine Repulsor Tank Points Analysis

So hopefully you have seen my previous thoughts on the Redemptor.  A great model. I think the Repulsor however is likely to have a much bigger impact as some of its capabilities are just down right naughty.

The Repulsor has 10 weapons systems...10! I can't even see where the Storm Bolter's are meant to be on it but they are there somewhere! (I think they go above the doors but lets see when the kit comes out!)

Initial Thoughts 

Very good. Fly and Power of the Machine Spirit are very powerful rules - this has both. You can move and keep that 3+ to hit with Heavy weapons (but you still need to be careful of degradation ...BS still goes down). And if you get assault you can move back and fire without penalty because of Fly. Bonkers for an Ultramarine's gun line or creeping-advance style army.

T8 means str 4 is wounding on 6's not 5's as is in the case with the Redemptor Dreadnought. No 2+....Land Raider needs to have something going for it, however when we see the poi…

Get your Free Space Marines! Well sort of…. Space Marine Initial Ideas.

There are some really interesting new formations coming out of the new Space Marine Codex.Clearly some of the Chapter tactics, Librarian formations and the Land Raider ‘walls of death’ are drawing some attention.But look over the lowest common denominator at your peril.
The humble Marine and his workhorse transport have been and always will be at the core of your list and GW is ramming that home with the new Demi-Company.