Skip to main content

Chief Librarian Tigurius (Ultramarine Librarian model)

This is the figure I plan to use as Chief Librarian Tigurius in my 1500pts force.  He will be my only HQ choice.  After painting 3 batches of 10 men recently this came as a welcome break.  With HQ and 2 (4 x 5 man units) Troop choices sorted its time to get back to the tanks.  I will however briefly discuss how I produced this model, as I made effective use of Humbrol Maskol to enable more airbrushing.  I have aimed to build this figure with a '35k' younger Chief Librarian Tigurius in mind, to fit in with my themed Ultramarine Army.

After cleaning the bits up with my scalpel and fine sand paper, I mounted the parts onto paper clips by drilling 1mm holes in areas which would be hidden after final assembly. I primed the model the same way I always do using Vallejo Grey primer.  This new plastic Librarian is a great little kit in my opinion.

I wanted to do a dark red, through yellow, to white transition along the weapon.  This was pretty easy to do, just leaving a small amount of the previous colour showing after each additional stage was applied.  The under cape was painted VMA Fire Red and VMA Armour Brown was used to apply shadows carefully. To do the fine work I thinned down my paints and dropped down to 10 psi allowing really fine lines/strokes with the airbrush.

To do the next stage (the tan cape) I applied Humbrol Maskol over the red under cape carefully right up to the edges.  This dried and allowed me to paint VMA Flat tan over the cape.  This was then shaded using VMA Sandy Brown before using a brush to reapply Tan as a final highlight.  I did mix Tan with white later on to make a few of the edges really pop.  This stage dried and was then coated in more Humbrol Maskol.

The helmet was taken from my Tactical marine boxed set and was already painted thanks to the batch work I did with the second Tactical Squad recently completed.

The staff was masked the old fashioned way using blue tac.  I reapplied Vallejo Grey Primer on areas that had been hit with over spray and began painting the blue - VMA French blue, Dark Sea blue for shades, Light Sea Blue for highlights.  I went heavy with the Light Sea blue to make the overall tone of the armour lighter as he is a Librarian and I wanted some difference between him and the darker Tactical Marines.

The blues now done, I peeled off all the Maskol and was pleased to see all the earlier stages had been protected perfectly.  All the details were then completed - pipes and metals VMA Black Metal and highlighted, all the golds, Liquid Gold Old Gold and highlighted.

This is another shot of the finished model - in my hand I the kit looks great and am really happy with the direction this force is heading.  I need a better camera and photo set up and this is something I will look to sort out soon (iPhone 5 doesn’t cut it!).  Time to get back to the tanks!


Popular posts from this blog

Space Marine Repulsor Tank Points Analysis

So hopefully you have seen my previous thoughts on the Redemptor.  A great model. I think the Repulsor however is likely to have a much bigger impact as some of its capabilities are just down right naughty.

The Repulsor has 10 weapons systems...10! I can't even see where the Storm Bolter's are meant to be on it but they are there somewhere! (I think they go above the doors but lets see when the kit comes out!)

Initial Thoughts 

Very good. Fly and Power of the Machine Spirit are very powerful rules - this has both. You can move and keep that 3+ to hit with Heavy weapons (but you still need to be careful of degradation ...BS still goes down). And if you get assault you can move back and fire without penalty because of Fly. Bonkers for an Ultramarine's gun line or creeping-advance style army.

T8 means str 4 is wounding on 6's not 5's as is in the case with the Redemptor Dreadnought. No 2+....Land Raider needs to have something going for it, however when we see the poi…

Space Marine Redemptor Dreadnought Points Analysis

I have promised Rob (Spikey Bits) at least twice now I would return to blogging but have failed miserably until now! I am on holiday and getting my ideas together to partake in my own White Dwarf "Tale of Four (one!) Gamers" style hobby challenge to get a Primaris force table top ASAP. There seems to be a gap in the market (soon to be filled by the hobby blogs and Podcasts, not least the Long War and Forge the Narrative) so having done my own research to shape my army list, I thought I would share build ideas and the points rationale behind it. Here goes...

Initial thoughts

It is good - not broken, not excellent but good. Toughness 7 is a slight issue given everyone trying to focus on being able to deal with this value. Maybe 8 would have been nice. A 2+ would be too much, but T8...hmm.... we will see. I think it is good anyway.  One concern (demonstrated in the Table Top Tactics video) is the degrading effect and impact on shooting once it goes to half health.  He needs a C…

Tale of One Gamer: Pure Primaris update

My Primaris Army is taking shape and whilst incomplete, it has been tested in two tournaments – GW’s Heat 2 and the Derby based Blood and Glory back in 2017. Whilst Primaris are good, there are some significant gaps in capability.I am really enjoying the new models, the building and the painting.I am pleased to say certain elements perform really well.In this article I hope to showcase some progress made in part-one, and some of the sneaking ahead I had to do to make competitive lists function.